I am the sum of all of the people who took the time to help me along. My Dad, Mom, brothers, and all of the leaders who saw something in me that I was unaware of or pushed me to be better than I thought I could be. I’ve always tried to return that, in kind, to others because it is a part of how I lead, however, 2014 is the year I go full throttle in returning those investments. How about you?
When 2014 is complete, what is the legacy you want to leave behind? One of policy, plans, procedures and rules? Or, do you want a to leave a legacy that represents your true self? If your answer is the latter, then read on and make 2014 the year of the personal tithe. At home, work, or play – if you want to leave a legacy that is of true value and that continues to be shared, then the answer is to tithe with others. A personal tithe refers to sharing the 10% of yourself that makes you special. When we share our inner 10% with others, we pass that piece of ourselves on and can help others grow, develop, or move past a difficult time in their life. As I stated at the beginning, all the success I have ever enjoyed has been the result of another’s tithe in me – all ordinary people who became extraordinary because they took the time to invest the 10% that was personal, insightful, and sometimes painful (to share and to hear). How will I pay back through tithing in 2014?
I Will Reflect
Having a PhD, tons of money, or a title is great, but the only requirement for you to tithe is having a willing spirit and a reflective mind. To be in that reflective state-of-mind when encountering issues, ask yourself: How can I help? What part of “me” can be of benefit to this person? Your tithe could come in the form of a personal story, an experience, a triumph, or even a tribulation. Regardless of its origin, it matters because it is a part of you. With a tithe, sometimes the smallest things have the largest impact. Always remember that each of us is special and each has something to tithe.
I Will Remove Distractions
We live in a busy world – cell phones, WiFi, and the continual bombardment of people by information can leave most so stressed they feel like they are diagonally parked in a parallel universe! To tithe, we need to take the time to connect on a human level – to get away from the distractions and meet others with warm eyes and an open heart. Only 7% of the words we use are important. The other 93% of a conversation comes from our body language, facial expressions, and how active we are in our ability to listen. To tithe, you NEED to be there, in the moment, with the person. Not thinking about what you are going to say but thinking about what you need to hear.
I Will Take The Risk
Is there an element of risk in tithing? The answer is yes. There is the risk of your tithe being unwanted. There is the risk of your tithe falling on “deaf” ears. There may also be the risk of being hurt. The hardest part of tithing is making that first investment. No great thing was ever accomplished without battling with that element of risk. In life, there are people that do and people that wish they had done. Wouldn’t you rather step out, take the risk of rejection and/or hurt and be of benefit to another than to have “wished” you had done something after the fact? I think the answer is clear – we should step up, step out, invest ourselves and take the risk.
Tithing is personal. It is a personal investment of your best 10% in others that goes beyond the boundaries of mentorship and coaching. It’s about a covenant that we build with others in an attempt to make meaning of our experiences and provide value to others as we run the race of life. The tithe that we share lives on in those we invest in and, chances are, it will become part of their tithe in others. It’s not a lot, it’s only 10% – but that small investment will give returns that are much greater than we could ever expect.
I’ve enjoyed a lot of success in my life. I like to think that it’s because I’m smart, work hard, and don’t give up. There’s some truth to that. I also like to guilefully tell myself that I’m a self-made person. I’m not…no one is. Nobody enjoys success in solitude. We all have help along the way from those who tithed with us. This is the year of the payback. I invite you to join me in going full throttle in investing in others and share your success stories back on this blog or by emailing me. There’s never been a better time to reach out, connect, inspire, and tithe.
PS – 2014 is also the year I’m thanking all of those who tithed in me!